Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesday Night - Tenderloin Filets

Wednesday nights my wife and I are alone so we can prepare a dinner that a teenager may not appreciate, or just something special for the two of us. Tonight it will be the latter.I know that it's early in the day, but I already know what I want to prepare, filet mignon.

Many people are hesitant to buy a good filet because they think that it's difficult to prepare correctly. I was forever poking and prodding the steak to try to determine whether it was cooked enough. I never could figure out how comparing the feel of the steak to your cheek could tell you how well it's done. I mean, what if you have pudgy cheeks? Luckily I found a sure-fire way to get the steaks cooked just right every time.

First, you need to buy the best quality tenderloin filets that you can find, and don't get those bacon-wrapped blister pack specials. Get a high quality two inch thick filet.

  • Preheat your oven to 425℉ and heat a heavy, oven-proof saute pan over medium high heat.
  • Tear off one piece of aluminum foil per steak and set aside.
  • Pat the filets dry and rub on both sides with a small amount of oil. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
  • Place the filets in the hot pan and sear for 5 minutes. Resist the temptation to move them. 
  • After 5 minutes turn them over and place the pan in the oven.
  • Keep in the oven for 5 minutes for a rare steak, 6 minutes for medium, and 7 minutes for medium-well.
  • Remove them from the oven, wrap individually in foil, and let rest on a warm plate for 5 minutes.

If your steaks are less than two inches thick you will need to decrease the oven time slightly.

While the steaks are resting I'll throw some asparagus, that I've brushed with olive oil, on to a hot grill and cook three or four minutes.

Take the baked sweet potatoes out of the oven - oh, I forgot to tell you that I microwaved them till soft then put them in the oven when I preheated it, sorry! Now you've got one romantic dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment