Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesday Night - Pasta and Turkey Meatballs

Since I need to travel to my workplace on Mondays, Tuesday is the first weekday that I get to be creative with dinner. So I'll try to make it something good. It's usually got to be suitable as a leftover because things seem to get harried as the week progresses.

Well it's now nearly 3pm and I have no idea what I'm going to prepare. So much for creativity; but it's the thought that counts, right?

We haven't had pasta for dinner in over a week so I think everyone will be in the mood for a pasta and meatball dinner. I know that my Italian Mother (always with a capital "M") isn't going to read this so I'll admit to using past sauce from a jar - with a bit of help.

The Sauce
First, I use a quality jarred sauce, only natural ingredients, no added sugar. I add a few cloves of garlic (finely chopped) then soften (not brown) it in a sauce pot with some olive oil (don't ask me how much, use how ever much you want!) We use lots of garlic. So much so that this year we grew our own. It's incredibly easy and so rewarding. More about that later. When the garlic is soft I'll add the sauce (two jars since we're planning for leftovers) then some oregano and a small amount of tarragon. Heat, covered, over a low flame stirring occasionally.

The Meatballs
We use ground turkey for meatballs and they need a bit of help so they're not too blah (you know what I mean.) I'll usually use about one pound of ground turkey and add one egg, 1/2 c seasoned bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tbs dried onion flakes, salt, and black pepper. Ground turkey has a higher moisture content than ground beef so no other liquids are needed. Mix all the ingredients well and make certain that the mixture is well-chilled. Give it a rest so the gluten in the bread crumbs helps hold the meat together when you shape it.

When it's chilled heat some oil in a pan over a medium flame. Shape the meat into what ever size meatball you want. I make them small, remember I'm on a tight schedule. Brown them on all sides then add to the simmering sauce.

The Pasta
Bring a large pot of water (6-8 qts.) to a boil (don't forget to cover the pot, the water will boil much faster.) Once the water is boiling add some salt and the pasta. Give the pasta a quick stir and cover the pot, but only until the water starts boiling again. Just before the pasta is done add a small amount of sauce the the bottom of a large pasta bowl. When the past is done to your liking drain it well an dump it into the pasta bowl. Add a bit of sauce on top and mix well to keep the pasta from sticking.

The Dinner
There you have it. Dinner, and plenty for leftovers, in less than an hour. I'll be more creative tomorrow, honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment